Saturday, May 25, 2013
History of Watauga Middle School
WORKING TOGETHER FOR SUCCESS
MAKE "IT" HAPPEN
Watauga Junior High School first opened its doors in 1969 with James Niendorff at the helm as principal. Four hundred and forty students roamed the halls at that time. In 1988, the year before Watauga Jr. High changed to Watauga Middle School, there were 1000 students enrolled. That year (1988) Watauga was the largest school in BISD. The faculty has almost tripled since 1969 as well increasing from 22 teachers to 59 in 1988. Today more than 67 teachers/staff are employed here to educate the 736 students.
In 1969, Watauga Jr. High had cheerleaders and ninth graders. In 1989 along with the name change to Watauga Middle, came the introduction of 6th grade into the school as the 9th graders moved into the high schools. Now we celebrate student achievements in an Award Ceremony which usually occurs at the end of the school year instead of having a ninth grade banquet.
Student Population: 736
Grade levels: 6,7,8
|Mascot: Warriors||Colors: Green & White|
Watauga Middle School believes that instructional and behavioral leadership is a cooperative effort among administrators, teachers, and parents. Instruction is focused in order for students to be successful in every subject matter taught. Each student will be expected to perform at his/her highest potential in order to become a responsible and productive citizen.
|Mike Drysdale Assistant Principal|
We are located on Watauga Road also known as Western Center Blvd. (west) and Mid Cities Blvd (east). Approximately 2 miles EAST of Denton Hwy. and 1 mile west of Rufe Snow.