HHE Classroom Change Request Policies and Procedures
We are fortunate to have an excellent cadre of teachers at Holiday Heights Elementary. I am confident that in whatever classroom your child has been placed, he or she will encounter a warm and well prepared teacher who is committed to student learning, to student success, to children – to your child.
The process used to assign students is a comprehensive one. As a staff, we take the responsibility of class placement very seriously. Beginning in the spring, and continuing through the summer, many factors are considered in the process of placing every child. This includes adjustments necessary in the summer to incorporate new students. If you are new to Holiday Heights and have only recently registered, please realize these factors were considered as closely as possible in placing your child in the classroom that will best meet his/her needs. Such factors involve:
• The program needs of the student;
• A balance of achievement levels in reading and math;
• The social needs of students and their leadership skills;
• Independent work habits of students;
• Behavior factors regarding students;
• The compatibility of students with each other (such as separating those who have not worked well together in the past);
• Information provided by the teacher through previous parent/teacher conferences;
• Recommendations of former teachers, principal, parents, guidance team or related information forwarded from a previous school;
• Classroom configuration; and
• The ratio of girls to boys.
Early in August the District staff and principal review staffing based on increases/decreases in enrollment. If significant enrollment changes emerge, then we would need to make building changes in class sections. However, with the exception of such enrollment issues, because classroom placement has been so carefully determined with such a wide range of factors taken into account, parental concerns and requests for changes in classroom placement are considered very carefully.
Michael Wamsley, Principal