We love reading and care about books.
Our goals are to:
- Know the parts of a book.
- Know the sounds of long vowels and short vowels.
- Identify and read sight words.
- monitor our accuracy in reading
- use our strategies to make sure we understand what we read.
- Find the author's purpose in books.
- Read for pleasure and read for learning facts about a topic
- Distinguish the traits of a nonfiction book and a fictional story
- Recognize the story elements
- Summarize stories (beginning, middle, end)
- Read aloud grade level appropriate text with fluency (accuracy, rate, expression and phrasing) and comprehension.
We care about our audience and try our best everyday to:
- use modern script handwriting
- write good sentences with a capital first letter and punctuation mark at the end
- use finger spaces between our words.
- make our illustrations match the words in our sentences.
- learning the writing process (create a draft, edit, publish, share)
- Write short stories that have a beginning, middle and end.
- Write short poems
- Capitalize the first letter of a sentence, the pronoun "I" and the names of proper nouns.
We want to become better writers and spellers so we work on these skills:
- Spell sight words correctly
- understand and use the parts of speech correctly
- Alphabetize a series of words
- Use letter/sound patterns to spell
- Expanding our vocabulary by knowing and using words correctly